A while back I read about producing patterns using horse hair in a book about alternative firings. A friend of mine let me have some horse hair to experiment with. I decided to try it out in my next smoke firing. You can read about how I make the pots & how I set up smoke firings in my garden in my previous posts.
I tried wrapping the horse hair around the pots in various ways, all producing different results. Originally I wrapped the horse hair around the pot without using kitchen foil. The results of this weren't what I was hoping for, the hair burnt away and left a few marks.
The second time around, after wrapping the horse hair around the pots, I wrapped them in kitchen foil and placed them in the pit to be fired.
I was really pleased with the final results and I can't wait to try it again in future firings and possibly on some larger pieces.